June 3, 2010

On packing, gift-wrapping, and kickball...

1. Packing

I do not like packing.  Seriously.  Packing sucks.  This week has involved a LOT of packing/cleaning as I have been figuring out how to cram all of the "things" cluttering the classroom into my closet & cabinets (thank goodness I don't have to move classrooms next year!!!  I am seriously doing a happy dance about that).  It has not been easy, but after cleaning out all of the random junk left by last year's teacher, I was magically able to create enough space in which to fit all my "stuff."  However, I can't help but already DREAD unpacking next year, as there was really no rhyme or reason to the packing and I'm certain that I'll never find half of the things again.  (As much as I dislike packing, unpacking is way worse.  I have a suitcase on my bedroom floor still from my trip to Florida.  In MARCH.  I think there are all of 3 things in it still, but honestly, I can't bring myself to finish unpacking. Yes, I know, I have problems...)  Anyways, tomorrow all I have to do is roll up my reading corner carpet, stash all my frames and knickknacks in my desk drawers, and give my room a big "see ya later!"  Feels weird, but good.  :)

2. Gift wrapping
Who knew that packing up your classroom involved gift wrapping?  Well, not gift wrapping in the truest sense of the word, but as I taped butcher block paper over my book cases and carefully folded the corners so that it was extra tight (I am not taking any chances, the books are SHOVED in there and with one false motion, who knows what might happen), I definitely felt like I was wrapping a really big, oddly shaped gift.  My mom (a true craftsy lady) always shakes her head when I produce gifts shoved in a random bag I found in the basement, or at most manage to tape some paper on a gift and write "to ____ love amy" on it in sharpie.  I am NOT exactly my mother's daughter in this area.  (seriously, I'm pretty sure at one time she used to sell fancy ribbon bows.  Her gifts are artwork.)  Anyways, this was not my favoritest of tasks today either!  But the bookshelves are all papered and taped up, ready to take on whatever befalls them during summer school and room cleaning this summer!!!

3. Kickball
Oh kickball...kickball, kickball, kickball...Okay, here it is.  With two older brothers, I SHOULD be athletic.  I SHOULD have learned to swing a bat and kick a soccer ball as a child.  I SHOULD love sports.  I don't.  This is not to say that I don't love athletic activity, fitness, and the outdoors.  On the contrary.  But while my dad used to play hockey with my brother in our driveway, we spent our time riding our bikes in the forest preserve (something we still love doing).  In elementary school I took piano lessons, not tennis.  In high school I was president of french club and in band.  (Please, please, please reserve your judgments.  Believe it or not, I actually had friends in spite of these very geeky extracurriculars)  Anyways, I have never really learned hand-eye coordination (or hand-foot coordination).  So when we had the teachers v. sixth graders kickball game today, obv I did not jump at the chance to participate.  You'd think the 23 year old teachers would be first in line, but THIS ONE SURE WASN'T!  (much to my students' disappointment)  Oooh well, maybe next year.  Mrs. J assures me that we will practice and she will have me a kickball master before next field day.  :)  Mrs. J, good luck to you.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...