July 14, 2013

Race Recap: Schaumburg Duathlon

Hi guys!  Between wrapping up a wonderful vacation in Florida, getting a yucky summer cold, and trying to get back into the marathon training routine, blogging fell right off the table for awhile there!  This recap is a little late, but better late than never!

One of my goals for 2013 was to finish my first duathlon, and on July 7th I did!  I'm going to tell you upfront, this was NOT my favorite race.  In fact, I was pretty much just praying for it to end the entire time.  This is mostly due to the fact that I had some sort of yucky cold and sinus thing going on, and all I wanted was to still be in my bed.  Still, I powered through and finished the race! Let's start at the beginning...
I convinced one of my best friends who was visiting from grad school to do the tri--he barely trained and finished lightyears before I did... :)

Most of the athletes were participating in the triathlon race simultaneously going on, so when I lined up for the start of the run (a very casual mid street start I might add!), I quickly realized just how tiny this race was.  Have you ever felt like you had a very real possibility of coming in last in a race?  Yeah, that was how I felt during this race--at least the first run leg!  Seriously, when the race started literally EVERYONE took off at crazy speeds--I honestly kept looking over my shoulder to make sure I wasn't last!  I wasn't even going that slow, sinuses aside!  Oh well--the perils of a tiny race!  I finished the first 5K run in 30:52, and my T1 time was 1:08.
The bike leg was really where the race started to suck.  I had just gotten home from vacation in Florida a couple days before and hadn't ridden more than 5 miles on my bike since before the trip.  I knew going in that the bike was going to be a rough time, and I was right.  Being such a small race meant that I was totally by myself for portions of the race, wondering if I was in last...this was one of those rough rides when you find yourself giving yourself pep talks...out loud...and not caring if other people can hear you.  I know, I am pathetic.  I'd see the 7 mile mark and say, "Okay, 7 miles, 5 more, you can do it.  Keep pedling."  I'm going to blame the sinus congestion for clouding my rational thought!!

Painful as it was, I survived the 12.8 mile bike with a crazy slow time of 52:47, and raced through T2 in 1 minute flat.  The second 5K run I actually felt a little better (finally warmed up maybe?), and finished in 31:36 with a good sprint to the finish.  
My final time for the duathlon was 1:57:17, and while I didn't really enjoy the race, I'm happy that I gave it my all even though I felt like just staying home and taking a DNS.  I think I prefer triathlons to duathlons, but I'm happy that I tried something new with this race!

Have you ever done a race while sick?  I actually set both my 5K and half-marathon PRs with colds, but I think the sinus congestion plus the awful humidity just combined to make this race especially painful!!

4 comments:

  1. Okay... obsessed with your tagline - it perfectly describes ME! I am going to be a 5th grade teacher for the first time this year (moving up for 2nd), LOVE to run with my hubby (who kicks my behind, but I still try anyways), and am passionate about reading (mom = librarian at my school). Can't wait to follow your journey :)

    I am your newest follower :) Come stop by if you get a chance - I'd love to hear from you!

    Lauren
    The Sweetest Thing
    Follow me on Bloglovin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Great job! Way to power through it. I often talk to myself when the going gets tough. I hope no one hears me, but one can never tell:) What marathon are you training for?
    Maria
    First Grade Carousel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is your child struggling with Math? Are you worried about ypur child's math gradesas they continue to fall behind?

    TeachMeWell is the answer of your problem: http://www.teachmewell.com/

    TeachMeWell will provide the best value by continuing to develop more learning tools for all children, specially in Math.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job. I have raced when sick but not recently. It's impossible to do as well as usual.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...