I'm so excited to have the opportunity to try and review Chocolate #9 energy gel! If you're a regular reader of my blog, you probably know about my affinity for Chocolate Outrage Gu. I have a sensitive stomach and use energy gels as fuel before morning workouts to avoid food tossing around in my tummy, as well as to refuel during long runs and bike rides. However, being something of a health nut, I've never been a big fan of the lengthy ingredient list on most gels... Chocolate #9 has only TWO ingredients: Agave Nectar and Dark Cocoa. How cool is that?Chocolate #9 website:
Chocolate #9 is a new kind of energy gel.
Chocolate #9 is different because it:
- is sweetened only with organic agave.
- contains no refined sugar or other HIGH glycemic index sweeteners.
- has been – tested and certified – as a “LOW” glycemic index (GI) item.
- Chocolate #9 LOW GI gel reduces the negative effect of repetitive insulin “spiking” during sustained exercise.
- won’t cause a sugar high or a sugar low – bonk.
- is an excellent energy choice for endurance athletes.
- is suitable for most diabetics – and used by Team Type 1.
- is an excellent choice for those not wanting to eat refined sugar.
- is vegan, low fat and gluten free.
- contains no synthetics – no unpleasant aftertastes – tastes great.
- contains no “mystery” ingredients, colorings, or preservatives.
- is easy on the stomach.
- best of all — Chocolate #9 tastes great.
I knew this was something I needed to check out for myself! I tried the gel for the first time last weekend halfway through a bike ride when I stopped back home to refill my water bottle.
Before: Hmmm...am I going to like this gel??
The Verdict: YUM!
Since then I have tried Chocolate #9 as pre-run fuel a handful of other times. I think I like the texture more than Gu--it's a little thinner, more like honey, but less syrupy than Cliff Shots which I'm no longer a big fan of. The dark chocolatey taste is great! Love me some dark chocolate... I can't tell yet if it is easier on the tummy like Chocolate #9 advertises. My stomach has been a little uneasy the past week (what else is new...), so I haven't noticed anything different about the gel, but that's not really Chocolate #9's fault. Since I'm not running long distances anymore, I haven't had the chance to try this gel out as a mid-run fuel, but I did feel great during the last chunk of my bike ride (although that might be due to taking a break!). In any case, I am a fan of the taste and texture, love the clean ingredient list, and am looking forward to experimenting more with Chocolate #9 in the future!
Now, here's the fun part--Chocolate #9 has generously given me the opportunity to share this gel with YOU! Three readers will each receive a 3-pack of Chocolate #9 energy gels, just in time for fall race season!
How to enter (leave a comment for each one completed):
+1: Become a follower of Juice Boxes & Crayolas, or let me know that you already are one! (Mandatory)
+1: Like Chocolate #9 on facebook and tell them that Juice Boxes and Crayolas sent you!
+1: Tell me about your current running fuel or why you'd like to try Chocolate #9!
+1 each: Post this giveaway on your blog, twitter, or facebook and let me know that you did!
This giveaway will end at midnight on Sunday, September 18th. Good luck!
DISCLAIMER: Chocolate #9 was kind enough to send me their product to try myself and to share with my readers. I received no additional compensation for this review, and all thoughts expressed reflect my own opinions.