February 13, 2014

Picture Prompt "Scoot" in Writing Workshop

I have a fun writing workshop lesson to share today!  We just wrapped up a never-ending persuasive/argument writing unit in my classroom, and since then, I've noticed my kids have been a little stuck when it comes to writing.  They are burned out and out of ideas!  To help them get their writing spark back, I've been doing some fun "Ideas" mini-lessons.  These are always my favorite kind--the ones that get the kids super excited about writing and that may lead to a published piece...or maybe not.  Last week I pulled out my file folder of writing pictures.  I gathered a bunch of magazine pictures last summer and laminated them.  Early on in the year, I modeled how to write from a picture, and it was a hit.  But they've been in the cabinet since September, so it was time to dust them off!
This time, though, we used them to play "Scoot."  You know, when you have the kids scoot from desk to desk and complete a short task at each one?  This time, I put a picture on each desk and had the kids scoot from desk to desk, completing a quick write at each one based on the picture.  (Word to the wise: If you do decide to use Scoot in your classroom, make sure you practice the scoot rotation at least 3 times before actually starting!!  Will save you a ton of headache...)  Anyways, once we'd practiced the rotation, I set a timer on the screen for a minute and we got started!
My kids completed 4 or 5 quick writes before we ran out of time.  They had a blast, and the next day, I had them choose one of the stories they'd started to continue writing about.  If my goal was to reignite our writing enthusiasm, I'd say this activity was a success!

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like an activity my kids would love! Nothing like combining writing with motion :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea even for my 8th graders! Thanks for sharing it; I think I'll use this after our state testing in March for something fun to do! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, great idea to use this for a testing brain break! I'll have to do the same when we test in a couple of weeks!

      Delete
  3. I think I'll try this. We are in the MIDDLE of persuasive writing right now and I know I'm sick of it. Do you use Lucy Calkins?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the end of any writing unit, I'm always sooo done--they just seem to drag out so far, and those last weeks when you are frantically trying to help kids revise are always crazy! I don't use Lucy Calkins--we have the Traits series, but I have to say I make up most of my mini-lessons or use other resources like Craft.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...