June 19, 2012

Triathlon Training Tuesday: Gear Checklist


When it comes to running, I'm a gear junkie.  I have a zillion little gadgets and am always looking for something new to try, from garmins to headbands to foam rollers.  Since I already love getting new gear, who would have thought I'd find the amount of gear needed for a triathlon intimidating!  But intimidating it was.  I scoured triathlon books and blogs for race day packing lists, finding some that were pages long!  YIKES!  With some trial and error during my training, I was able to figure out what I actually would need for my race, and now having finished one tri, I have a better idea what I will need again next time and what I should leave at home.  I'm no expert, but since the packing list was one of the most nerve wracking parts of training for me, I thought I'd share what I brought to my tri with you!

Pre-Race
  • track jacket, t-shirt, yoga pants to wear over tri clothes
  • water bottle
  • pre-race Gu (or your breakfast of choice!)
  • sunscreen
  • hair ties
  • permanent marker to fix body marking post-sunscreen
  • flip flops 
  • bike pump
Swim
  • tri clothes (for me, this was tri shorts and a tri sports bra, although I'd like to try a tri shirt next time...)
  • race-issued swim cap
  • goggles
  • extra swim cap and goggles just in case
  • digital watch
  • road id 
T-1/Bike
  • towel spread out under bike to lay gear on (I brought an extra one to dry off with, but it was so hot that I didn't really need to take the time to dry off, so it wasn't really necessary.  Maybe I would bring an extra hand towel to quickly dry off next time...)
  • shoes (just plain running shoes for me)
  • socks
  • shirt with race number pinned on (many people had a race number belt that they just put on if they wore a top in the water)
  • bike gloves
  • helmet
  • sun glasses
  • water bottle(s) on bike
  • Gu
  • kleenex!  (I was so glad I had this one, my nose is always running like crazy post-swim and on my bike!  I had a couple pieces out with my gear in transition and one in my bike bag)
 
T-2/Run
  • hat
  • IT band straps
  • Gu
Post-Race
  • Change of clothes
  • Flip flops
  • Plastic bag for wet/sweaty clothes
Phew!  That's it!  For Tri #2, I plan to experiment with a tri top and number belt instead of a tri sports bra and running top to pull over it.  My hope is to shave off 30 seconds of transition time without having an outfit change!  :)  I'll keep you posted...

What is your "must have" gear for a triathlon or any race??

3 comments:

  1. Thanks. I have bookmarked this one!
    I found a tri top on sale by searching. I think I just googled tri tops till I found one I wanted that wasn't too much. Some day I'll be able to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, since I haven't done a triathlon and never plan on doing one :) I would say that my must have gear for a 5k is, um, my running shoes? :)

    Having said that-I do want a garmin. I'm tired of carrying my phone with the app that keeps up with my distance. :)

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aerobars are a great addition if your terrain is flat as they help increase speed but may not be as good on a mountainous circuit, as they need to negotiate curves. Beginners might want to try clipless pedals if they want to better their time.

    Male Cycling Knicks

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...