I used to listen to music on every single run, but after my ipod died on a run last spring, I discovered how amazing a quiet run can be. I find myself focusing on my breath, my pace, random worries and problems, prayers, or good mantras. But I won't deny it, there are times when music really is necessary to make it through. I bring music on almost all of my long runs. Here are some of my absolute favorite running songs that, without fail, can get me through even the toughest miles.
9. Price Tag by Jessie J: I just really love this song and it always puts me in a good mood. Sometimes I need a true pump up song when running, but sometimes I just need a song to put a smile on my face. This is one of those songs. I swear, as soon as I hear it I want to break into a dance party.
8. Born This Way by Lady Gaga: Great beat AND great message? Yes please! "I'm beautiful in my way cause God makes no mistakes, I'm on the right track baby, I was born this way. Don't hide yourself in regret, just love yourself and you're set, I'm on the right track baby, I was born this way."
7. Dog Days are Over by Florence + the Machine: "Run fast for your mother run fast for your father, Run for your children for your sisters and brothers, Leave all your love and your longing behind you, Can't carry it with you if you want to survive..." DUH! Amazing, right?
6. ET by Katy Perry: Love the beat on this one, plain and simple!
5. One Day by Matisyahu: Fell in love with this song during the Vancouver Olympics a few years ago. "Sometimes in my tears I drown, but I never let it get me down, so when negativity surrounds I know some day it'll all turn around...one day.." This is the perfect for a post-injury run--a great reminder that while you're not where you once were, you'll get there soon.
4. Lose Yourself by Eminem: This one is totally a throw back to high school...Don't worry, I still know every word and sometimes like to rock out in my off-key voice while on the trails alone.
3. All These Things That I've Done by The Killers: Absolutely love the end of this song when it just repeats over and over again, "I've got soul but I'm not a soldier." Amazing!
2. Firework by Katy Perry: "Cause baby you're a firework, come on, show 'em what you're worth, make 'em go oh, oh, oh, as you shoot across the sky..." YES. Come on. When you're about to quit, tell me that THAT won't get you to push on for another mile (at least)!
1. Till I Collapse by Eminem: This is the ultimate pump up song. I swear, awhile back I would listen to this song before and about 5 times during every run. "'Cause sometimes you just feel tired, feel weak, and when you feel weak, you feel like you wanna just give up. But you gotta search within you, you gotta find that inner strength and just pull that shit out of you and get that motivation to not give up." SO. GOOD.
So, I'm dying to know...
Do you run with music or without?
What are some of your your go-to running songs?