May 21, 2014

My Favorite Post-Workout Smoothie

Happy Wednesday!  The weather in Chicago is finally HOT which means the return of the sweaty selfie:

It also means I am loving a frosty cold post-workout smoothie these days!  A reader left a comment on the Juice Boxes + Crayolas Facebook page the other day asking me to share my favorite smoothie recipe.  After finishing a hot and sweaty brick workout last night (just before a thunderstorm rolled in!), I was definitely ready to enjoy a post-workout smoothie.

All my smoothies are basically variations of the same recipe:

  • 1 cup almond milk (I like Silk Light, Original Flavor)
  • 1 big handful spinach
  • 1 frozen banana
  • A handful of whatever frozen fruit I have on hand--Usually this ends up being blueberries, but I am currently LOVING the frozen pineapple tidbits from Trader Joe's, and have been using a mix of pineapple and blueberries in smoothies lately.
Layer the ingredients in blender in that order (now that I know how to correctly blend smoothies...), blend, and enjoy!  
I used to add protein powder into my smoothies, but I decided it wasn't necessary and that I was getting enough protein from the almond milk and other sources in my daily diet.  After a long hard run, though, I will often add a big spoonful of peanut butter which makes the smoothie just that much more amazing.  I mean really, isn't everything better with peanut butter??
That's it!  Easy, delicious, refreshing, and healthy.  A perfect summer beverage!  Well, at least a close second to Leinie's Summer Shandy... ;)

What's your favorite smoothie or go-to summer beverage?

2 comments:

  1. Yum! My favorite is a "Green Monster"- almond milk, a frozen banana, peanut butter and spinach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found that it's just as easy to peel the bananas and break them into 1-2 inch hunks, toss them in a freezer bag and use. I got tired of dealing with the frozen peel and had to find another way, lol!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...