November 12, 2010

There be dragons

I get a lot of inventive spelling on student work...with all of our time spent trying to boost test scores, certain things like spelling have kind of fallen to the wayside... Combine that with messy handwriting, and it can be a bit of a challenge deciphering WHAT the heck they are writing.  But once in awhile, I get a true gem...

Question: "What are two reasons why Jose Manuel's grandmother would not let him out to play?"
Student Answer: "Jose Manuel's grandmother would not let him out to play, because the steer [street] where [was] to dragons.  and to many fast cars."

I seriously read it, and read it, and reread it...and thought, "How could DRAGONS possibly have entered into this story??"  It's a realistic fiction, set in San Juan.  Today I brought over the worksheet and asked him to read me the answer.  Turns out Dragons was actually Dangerous.  Makes MUCH more sense now.  I had him chunk the word he actually wrote and he realized it really said "dragons," and needless to say we both had a pretty good laugh.  I just couldn't let him erase it though so I could snag a picture of this gem.

Please know that in no way to I mean this to make fun of this child--I love him like crazy!  And part of what I love about this job are the smiles I get to share with students.

3 comments:

  1. amy! I just laughed out loud, thankss :) . Also I was imagining you and the student having a laugh over it, so cutee, miss you so much!

    -imin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imin! I'm glad you enjoyed. :) I just clicked your profile and saw you are blogging again!! Pourquoi est-ce que tu ne me l'as dit pas?! (OMG please do not make fun of the errors in that sentence...my french is SHOT these days! Anyways, I miss you. like crazy. :(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...