February 22, 2011

Gearing Up for FLORIDA!!!

Here's the thing...I'm running 13.1 miles in less than 5 days!  Eep!

Here's the other thing...My legs are in probably the worst shape of all of my training.  Okay, that's not true.  But they were in the worst shape of my training about a week ago.  I've been battling these wicked calf knots, and after my 12-miler two Sunday's ago, I literally could not walk!!  They were sore all last week no matter how much I worked on them with the foam roller and the stick (plus 2 professional massages!).

After taking the weekend off from any and all working out (besides a few walks), they are feeling waaaay better.  But I'm still super nervous about the race.  I'm going to swim tonight and try a short run tomorrow, but I'd rather take it super easy this week and not have any new knots for Sunday than try to get some last minute miles in!  Talk about the most dramatic taper in the history of racing!  (Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating again!)

I did this for about an hour last night:
I can tell the knots are finally working themselves out because it didn't bring me to tears this time!!  Hooray...any small victory, right? :)

In other race-related news, I got an exciting gift from Mrs. Mentor Teacher this morning!
(This is the corner of the white board that my desk is right up against.)  Guess which magnet is from her. :)  When I exclaimed, "But I haven't run 13.1 yet!!" her response was that now I HAVE to because I already have the magnet!  Thanks Mrs. Mentor Teacher :)

BTW the magnet right above that is one of my absolute favorite Jack Kerouac quotes:

The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awwww!"


^Rather appropriate when you're gearing up for your first big race, isn't it?

My bags are officially packed! (A few days early, because my wonderful dad is driving down to FL tomorrow!  He'll be staying down there to spend some time with my brother after the race.)  When he announced that he'd drive down, my thoughts immediately went to, "This means I can bring an unlimited amount of STUFF in my suitcase and not worry about expensive bag check fees on the plane!  Wahoo!!"  Confession: I am an extraordinary overpacker.  Proof?  I will be in Florida less than 72 hours.  I have four pairs of shoes packed and enough clothing for a week and a half.  Why?  Well, you never know! :)  Better safe than sorry!


What are your "must-packs" for race day?

3 comments:

  1. have a safe trip and a great race!
    I also over pack..always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so exciting that your race is so close!! I haven't run a long distance race yet, but I'm thinking that resting your legs would probably be a good idea. They will be fresh for the big day!

    I'm awful at packing - I always over pack too. You never know what you'll want while on vacation :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so close and you're ready! You will do fine this weekend!

    I have never had a race that included an overnight stay so I never had to pack anything.

    But I do bring too much with me on vacation, especially shoes: a girl has to have shoes for every occasion with her, right?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...