February 11, 2011

Staying Motivated

I have been having a little trouble keeping my training motivation up this week.  As the big race draws closer and closer (just 2 weeks from Sunday!!), and as I get more and more excited, I feel like the logically thing would be for me to be as on top of my training as ever.  But the truth is...I am sick of the treadmill and I have been just plain EXHAUSTED with school lately.  Tuesday evening I was so stressed and burned out that when I arrived at the gym to find every single spot in the parking lot FULL, I just didn't have the energy to circle the lot until one opened up, or to park at a different business and hike over.  I went home.  I should have gone home and done some cross-training on my indoor bike trainer...but I didn't.  I rested.

Wednesday evening I was planning to make up my run.  But by the time I left tutoring at 6 and got in the car...my priorities shifted a bit.  I was literally half-way to the gym when I made a u-turn and headed back to my house.  Where I proceeded to nap.  For an hour and a half.  I did manage to peel myself from my bed to jump on my bike (indoors of course), but it was a struggle.  Thursday I redeemed myself somewhat--I did actually make it to the gym and knock out the 5 miles in my training plan.  But after the prior few days of near stagnancy, my muscles were feeling it today!  I have been practically living in my recovery socks:

So sexy, I know
Have you tried these guys before?  I bought them a few weeks ago to help with my awful calf knots and soreness, and I really have felt a difference between the socks, a lot of foam rolling, and a couple massages focused on my legs.  

Two other fun reminders of how close the race is arrived this week:

This bondi band (running headband) I ordered!

I know, how adorable.  I had toyed with the idea of running in some sort of tiara (because why NOT do that if it is socially acceptable at a race??), but when I saw this headband on the bondi band website, I knew it was perfect.  A tiara that can keep my unruly hair outta my face and sweat outta my eyes?  Win.  A dream come true for this running princess! ;)

Also, I received this email in my inbox yesterday:

Better get my "glass running slippers" ready!  I'm gonna need them on Sunday's 12-miler!!  Yikes!

How do you stay motivated in your training when running is the last thing you want to do?

3 comments:

  1. I plan my workouts on my blog, then feel really crummy if I can't report back that I did them.
    I love my compression socks! I have some from CEP and Running Skirts and they both are fantastic. I wish I had purchased them sooner.
    Good luck in your half in two weeks! You are going to have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also post my plan on my blog and I report what I did at the end of the week and I stay honest because that is the whole point of posting it. Movie was funny, my kids loved it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the tiara band you got! I've been having a hard time staying motivated this past two weeks, mostly because of the bad weather and my dislike for the treadmill. I just try to keep reminding myself why I'm doing the training to get back out there. And planning workouts with a friend is a great way to make sure I don't back out at the last minute. I've had those moments where I've been dressed to go to the park, but have driven home instead.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...