January 22, 2011

Tennis Balls and Haricots Vert...

...these are a few of my favorite things.  Today at least!

Remember the run I quit Thursday?  My tibia was acting up again, but to add insult to injury (or injury to MORE injury), my good leg was falling apart too!!!  I got some fierce muscle pains in my back left calf that didn't go away with a stretch.  Yesterday, it was worse!  I tried some tennis ball massage and stretching last night, but it actually hurt WORSE!  This morning I bit the bullet and scheduled a massage.
nothing like some good haricots vert to cool down a sore muscle!
Let me tell you, that was the best idea I've had in a long time.  And not just because it hurt SO GOOD on my calf.  I could feel the tension aka the WEIGHT OF THE WORLD that I've been carrying around on my shoulders lately at school melting away.  Wonderful.

The massage therapist recommended continuing tennis ball massage/foam rolling, plus some extra long stretching/ice.  She said that it didn't feel like a tear or anything, just a whole bunch of tightness, so I won't seriously injure myself if I keep running with it.  But definitely to be stretching and come back for another massage.  She didn't have to tell me twice--I signed up for a 3 massage package immediately.  Plus bought a muscle cooling gel on recommendation from the receptionist who also runs marathons.

 Let's home my leg loosens up by tomorrow!  Although I don't know that tomorrow's 8 miles is going to happen...I guess it won't be the end of the world though.  Maybe a swim is in order instead?
And definitely some more tennis ball action...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...